Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

The Greatest Showman Review

The Greatest Showman (8/10)

Director: Michael Gracey

Runtime: 105 Minutes

For more reviews like this please visit my main page at Insane Reviewer on Facebook. I review a new film every two days and push myself at delivering thought out and detailed reviews.


I was listening to "Rewrite the stars" on my way home today and realised I haven't done a review for The Greatest Showman. Considering it was one of my favourite movies from last year I felt it only right to write one for my page. I even remember my first time seeing this movie, as it was also my first time ever having to sit in the second row from the screen because the room was that full. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I didn't mind sitting that close, and the movie was also really good so overall I had a really pleasant experience.

P.T Barnum (Hugh Jackman) is a near penniless dreamer determined to build a better life for himself and his family. After struggling to establish himself, Barnum launches out on his own, creating a theatre in the heart of New York City. He gathers together people with special talents as well as those with physical abnormalities. (a giant, a bearded lady, Siamese twins, a dwarf, etc) He also hires the likes of Zac Effron as an overcompensated apprentice. But as we all know, in the end showbiz always goes to your head and this is where Barnum gambles on an all out tour with opera singer Jenny Lind (Rebecca Ferguson). Leaving all his old talents behind.

The film starts with the title song "The Greatest Show" A showstopper of a song that never stops the rhythm with a repetitive thumping that throws the audience straight in. The cinematography here (much like the whole movie) is so good, keeping the movements fluid which gels well with the rhythm of the song. All the actors feel connected by their actions and everything comes together so the audience is plunged straight into the centre of the ring. At the centre of this whole story is Hugh Jackman, who greatly carries this whole movie. He's got such a flamboyant charm that it's just impossible to hate him, you realise that everything he has done has been for his family even if his own selfish needs to get in the way at times. Plotwise this movie is very thin, its simple told story but told tremendously through its lavish production numbers and crafted sets.

I feel like most people I have the same issues with this movie, the film tries to get through its plot as quickly as it can so they can show us the next big set number. All of the pieces look incredibly good, however, it's just a shame that they rely too much on CGI during these moments when they could have recreated everything with real stuntmen. I mean we see it all the time at real-life circuses. Although I do realise some of the trapiz moments do defy the laws of psychics so sometimes the storys own narrative does stop it from being greater than it could be.

People come to see this movie for the music and here is where it does everything so well. Every single one of the tracks is great and are placed so perfectly throughout the narrative. You can count on at least one to stick in your head for ages, for me its "Rewrite the stars" which is a beautiful song that tells the struggles of both these characters who just want to be together but society stops them.

Overall I still love this movie just as much as I did the first time I saw it. Hugh Jackman is brilliant and so is all the supporting roles. All of the songs are so catchy and sometimes beautiful, they're placed perfectly in the narrative of the story. Everyone is deeply committed to entertaining the audience, in and out of the film. This is most definitely the greatest show on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for comment. Lets keep talking!