Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Halloween 2 Review

Halloween 2 (4/10)

Director: Rick Rosenthal

Runtime: 92 Minutes

For more reviews like this please visit my main page at Insane Reviewer on Facebook.  I review a new film every two days and push myself at delivering thought out and detailed reviews.


As mentioned in my review 2 weeks ago, I will be reviewing all the Halloween movies every 2 weeks to coincide with the release of the new Halloween movie coming out this October. As promised, today I will be reviewing Halloween 2. The sequel to arguably one of the greatest horror movies of all time. The movie begins just as any sequel should, continuing directly after the events of the first. There's not too much to say about the plot as the movie follows straight after the first. We again see Jamie Lee Curtis as she gets wheeled away to the hospital, little does she know that Michael Myers is hot on her tail. Killing many people along the way, and just like the first Doctor Loomis is back on the search to find Michael and stop him for good.

My god, how the mighty have fallen. I used to like Halloween 2 as a kid but now watching it as an adult I have no idea why. John Carpenters original Halloween is one of the best and most effective horror movies of all time. This movie takes everything that the first did so well and ruins pretty much every aspect of it. Halloween 2 does do a lot of things well, it amps up the body count which can either be a good thing or bad depending on how you look at it. Michael has more screentime this time around, which might satisfy some people but it does take away a lot of the mystery surrounding the character. Personally, I don't find this that bad to the narrative as this is the sequel and I would expect to see more of him. Although it does make Michael a less menacing figure, id go so far to argue this movie steals every ounce of scare factor that Michael ever had and makes him feel like a cliche slasher villian than the troubled man hiding behind a mask of bloodshed that truly he is.

This movie has none of the artistry or the imagination of the original. However, despite all the hate that I'm giving the movie, it did entertain me enough for the length of its runtime. Sadly this was more down to some absolutely, ridiculous moments, that made me laugh so hard that for a second I forgot I was watching a horror movie. It was enjoyable for completely the wrong reasons. It does have some memorable kills though, seeing Michael disfiguring the face of a beautiful woman by plunging her repeatedly into scalding water of a whirlpool bath, was original and entertaining. A minor thing, I can't seem to get over how much I disliked the remixed version of the Halloween theme. It sounded like John Carpenter put over a techno 80's beat over the original music, it wasn't at all scary and I have no idea why they changed such a perfect and iconic song.

If you can look past all the idiotic choices that the characters make then you might find something enjoyable here. If anyone used just an ounce of common sense then this movie wouldn't even be half as long as it is. Then again, it wouldn't really be a slasher then would it.

I really didn't like Halloween 2, it tried to copy everything the original did but fails miserably. Michael is no longer scary or a menacing figure lurking in the darkness. Some unique kills and an always enjoyable performance by Donald Pleasence stops this movie from being terrible. I'm really happy that the new Halloween is forgetting the sequels ever existed. Maybe this will be the true sequel the original finally deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for comment. Lets keep talking!